Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sex & drugs is what sells books...

        *** The bland disclaimer*** 
                                                                                                                                                                            I wrote the first entry late last night. I awoke today to find that I had 2 subscribers & some 17 people had read the post already. I walked off to work recharged, going over ideas for topics and coming up with concepts. After about an hour of thinking about it, I realized that while this is certainly a viable means to get your work out there, it is also instant & available to anyone at anytime. This speed in publication raises some issues.
  "Where's the sex?" a reader rightly asked. It's certainly been the topic of 95% of my work, and it's not wrong of an audience to expect that from me. There's usually a delay of a year or more between the time a poem is written to the time of it's publication for me. In that year, wounds have had time to heal & the topic seems to become somewhat of a cathartic vehicle at that point. Or a fond reminder.
I would be a fool to relay my current sexual adventures here in real time, she would never sleep with me again.
That being said, this is my dry run at writing some sort of mid-life crisis memoir, and there is no reason I can't pull the poor ladies from my past out from their comfortable resting places to hold them up to the light, contrast & compare, fondle & contextualize.
  I know what sells books dear reader.  Don't worry, it's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm open to feedback, but remember this is a diary. Most of these posts are first drafts and as such are unedited. Editing & revising my posts would negate the purpose of this blog for me. Thanks.